I had to do quite a bit of digging to find the recipe I last used for this meal. It was buried in a book I haven't used for quite some time. I'm glad I had an excuse to dust it off; it looks like there are some other goodies in there I should try again. Meanwhile, break out your slow cooker or Crock Pot. This is definitely the easiest way to make it.
- 3 to 3 1/2 lb. All Natural Corned Beef Brisket, trimmed
- 1 and 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 cloves Organic Garlic, minced
- 2 Organic Bay Leaves
- 1 medium head, Organic Cabbage, cut in wedges
- 2 large Organic Potatoes, cut in lengths
- 4 medium Organic Carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium Organic Yellow Onion, cut in wedges
- Wash brisket and place on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place bay leaves and garlic on top of meat.
- Layer potatoes over the meat first; then add carrots and onions in that order.
- I like to add the cabbage about 2 hours before mealtime to keep it a bit crisper, but you can put it in now if you like it well-cooked.
- Pour water over ingredients slowly.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours and then turn to low for the remainder--totalling 8-12 hours. If you have less time, cook it on high for 8 hours. That's what I did and it was very tender and delicious.
I cannot give credit for this recipe to anyone, as it is a combination of 3 different versions, using crock pot cooker timing. I guess that makes it mine. Watch out Martha!
On Monday, March 16, I'll be experimenting with another combo recipe for Irish Apple Cake. This cake is my own version of one of many Irish apple cake recipes. It comes heavy on apples and light on flour, and soooo good. Come join me for this traditional recipe and raise your green beer in a toast to...Good Luck!