This recipe was handed down from my grandmother, who must have gotten it from her second husband, who was of German descent. Too much information, right?! All that said because I am not German and cannot take credit for the recipe. It is delicious though.
Organic Fruit Kuchen
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Sugar
- 1 Scant Cup Organic Flour
- 1 Organic Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Filtered Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Fruit and Topping Ingredients:
- About 2 Cups Organic Fruit, well drained--Berries are great on Kuchen
- 3/4 Cup Organic Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Flour
- Dash Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Organic Cream or Organic Half and Half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix in.
- Beat egg and add water.
- Add egg mixture to dough and mix well. Dough will be very stiff.
- Press the dough into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan, using your fingers.
- Distribute fruit evenly over the dough.
- Mix the other topping ingredients together lightly.
- Pour over the top of the fruit.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Great served warm or room temperature.
This quick and easy family dessert is just as delightful for company. Once I made individual kuchens in shallow mini bowls and they were the hit of the party. Keep in mind that, if you decide to make minis like this, they will cook much faster. Adjust your time accordingly and keep a close eye on them.
Got an organic recipe you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you. I am particularly looking for Norwegian and Belgian recipes, as that is my primary heritage. I'd like to try some of their specialties that I haven't yet experienced. I'll look forward to hearing from you at CarrieLeaJohnson@gmail.com .