© photo copyright Carrie Boyko
As is often the case with my recipes for special occasions, this one is meant to be prepared in advance. Allowing it to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of days before baking will give the flavors time to mingle well. When you read the ingredients, you'll probably think they will taste like you're at a Hawaian feast, but the flavors complement one another well and it is simply delicious.
Holiday Organic Pineapple and Orange Sweet Potatoes (serves 8)
- 4 Large Organic Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Large Can Organic Crushed Pineapple, undrained
- 2 Large Organic Oranges
- 1/2 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Organic Brown Sugar
- Bake sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for 1-1/4 hours, until soft when squeezed.
- While baking, wash and grate oranges finely. Blend to make more fine.
Combine pineapple, juice, oranges and sugar, and stir well. Set aside.
- When potatoes are done, slice in quarters lengthwise, allowing to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Peel potatoes when cool enough to handle, and mash while warm, in a large bowl.
- When well mashed, add fruit mixture and stir well or blend together with a mixer.
- Spoon the mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate, at least overnight, but best a couple of days.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
- Take out and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Continue to bake for a total of 1 hour.
Tomorrow I'll be bringing you the links for all the basic turkey fixings from Thanksgiving. You can pick and choose which items you'd like to have on Christmas. Every family has their own traditions, but at my house we always have turkey. If you are more about the Leg of Lamb or some other specialty, more power to you. Would you like to share a recipe with us for next year? I'd love to hear from you. Just click the COMMENT link below and drop me a note.