Carrie's Organic Bruschetta ( serves 6-8)
- 1 Medium loaf of Organic French Bread or Organic Baguette, sliced thin
- 2-3 Ounces Organic Olive Oil
- 2 Heads Organic Garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Organic Pepper
- 2 Large Organic Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Cup Fresh Organic Basil, finely sliced finely
- 1 Cup Grated Organic Cheese; I use mozzarella or parmesan or a combination of the two
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.At least 24 hours ahead of time, place minced garlic in a glass container and cover with olive oil. Refrigerate.
- Remove oil and garlic mixture from the refrigerator at least 15 minutes before preparation is to begin, to allow it to soften.
- Strain 3 Tablespoons of this oil into a Ziploc bag.
- Add salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add about half a loaf of the bread at a time; seal and toss the bread around in the oil mixture, coating all pieces of bread as evenly as possible.
- Lay coated bread slices on a cookie sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes.
- You can either continue with the recipe here or cool and store for later use.
- Strain the minced garlic out of the oil and distribute the garlic on the pieces of bread. Use some or all, depending on your taste. (I use it all!)
- Top each piece of bread with sliced Basil and diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- If desired, drizzle a small amount of the leftover oil over the bread.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes, just until cheese is melting.
- Serve immediately.
The garlic-infused oil in this recipe creation of mine makes all the difference in the flavor of the bruschetta. This is a perfect appetizer for your New Year's Eve party, Christmas Day, or even game day.
To balance the types of food you offer at a party, include at least two other offerings--one sweet, like my Pecan Crescent cookies, and one fresh and fruity. Fresh fruit kabobs would be perfect and quite festive. Enjoy.