- Individually wrapped sugar cookies (pumpkins maybe) made with natural food coloring
- Pictures to color (Halloween themes), printed on recycled paper, rolled and tied up with orange cotton yarn
- Similarly, word searches or crossword puzzles
- Halloween stickers
- Halloween bookmarks, made on the computer and printed on recycled paper
- mini toys like party favors (check the dollar stores for multi-packs)
One green costume idea has come to mind; feel free to steal it and make it your own. If you have a large enough box or a small enough child, make a box into a recycle bin. Simply cover it with green wrapping paper or paint it green. Then paint on the recycle symbol; it isn't that tough to copy. You could even sketch the symbol on an 8 1/2 x 11 sticker sheet, cut it out, and apply it whole. Cut holes for the head and arms and you're in business.
Let me know your ideas. Wouldn't it be great if we could get the word out all over the country, and lots of children would dress up like wind farm fans, smart cars (there's another good box costume possibility), recycle bins, and other "green icons." Send me your ideas and I'll include them in more Halloween posts. Thanks much.